Monday 6 August 2012

A day of food and a recipe

I haven't blogged about a whole day of food in aaaaages and today has been the first day in a while that I actually took photos of everything I had. I will even spoil you with the recipe for my dinner :-)

My first eat of the day was overnight oats. Overnight oats are all over the healthy-eating blogging world and it seems as though everyone has their own way of doing it - and I guess that's the beauty of the meal as you can really experiment and make it your own. Get  started by being inspired by some of the blogs like I was (here, here and here)

Last night I mixed up some oats, a similar volume of soya milk and a couple of teaspoons of ground flax seeds, then this morning I stirred through some frozen mango, fresh blueberries and a teaspoon of chia seeds and left it mingle for about half an hour before tucking in. It satisfies that need for a comforting texture in the morning and supplies you with all your macro nutrients, but as it isn't warm it keeps you cool and refreshed at the same time. Please try it, you won't regret it...and see how great it looks in the jar!

My lunch was a failed vegetable omelet vegetable and egg scramble which I made by sauteing dried mushrooms, a few cherry tomatoes and cavalo nero then mixing in a couple of eggs. Topped off with some avocado, it hit the spot before I had errands to run in town.

 Tonight I wanted to take the time to cook myself a proper dinner, inspired by a recipe in one of my favourite recipe book (River Cottage Veg by Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall....have I mentioned it before?!) I adapted it to create Spiced Aubergine and Chickpea Salad, and here's what I did

Spiced Aubergine and Chickpea Salad (for 1)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Medium aubergine (eggplant) - Chop into 1 inch cubes
Half a tin of chickpeas - Drained. If using dry chickpeas, soak 50g and boil for an hour to make up the right quantity
1 Small corn cob - Or half a large one
1/4 Tsp ground coriander
1/4 Tsp cumin seed
1/4 Tsp chili powder
1 Clove of garlic - sliced
1/4 Lemon - you need the juice and the zest
Small handful of fresh coriander - chopped

  • Preheat the oven to 200C, and whilst it's warming up also put in the baking tray you are going to used with the oil drizzled in it.
  • Meanwhile, toss the aubergine in the ground coriander cumin seeds and chili powder and add to the baking tray when the oil in the tray is very hot.
  • Bake the aubergine for 30 minutes, stirring half way.
  • Meanwhile, wrap the corn cob in some foil and put this in the oven too. You can add butter here or any seasoning you like but I just love it as it is. About 30 minutes should see it cooked through perfectly - tender but not chewy)
  • When the aubergine has been baking for 30 minutes then stir in the chickpeas and garlic and return it to the oven for another 10 minutes.
  • Toss the fresh coriander, lemon zest and juice through the baked aubergine mixture and serve on top of a bed of salad leaves.
  • You can have the corn cob as it is on the side, but I chose to chop off the kernels and toss it through the salad.
  • Season, if that's your thing, then serve.

I am submitting this post to Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Shelby at Everyday Vegan Girl , Gabby at The Veggie Nook  and Carrie at Carrie On Vegan 

Phew, that's a lot of food for one blog. Hope it hasn't left you too hungry! Next time I post I will probably give an exercise update!

Hannah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment