Monday 28 January 2013

Another recipe? I am ON FIRE!

Well, not even I could have predicted that I'd be sharing another recipe so soon after Saturday's noodles!

But I am! I had some parsnips that wanted using (is it just me, or is roasting parsnips to PERFECTION virtually impossible?) and yet again, the drive to come up with something that was 'cold lunch' friendly made me get creative with far more success than I'd usually expect.

I have heard of but never once before tried a savoury muffin. But I could totally see how they could be a great vehicle to squeeze in plenty of nutrition for a quick 'grab and go' lunch. And with the busier than usual days my business has been seeing lately, this is exactly what I need.

I used this carrot and coriander muffin recipe as a basic blueprint for my recipe. It is paleo, gluten-free and dairy-free. It would be great to experiment with egg substitutes to see how well this recipe 'veganises' too. If you experiment and find out before me, do let me know!

Other future experiments would/will include the addition of spinach and/or nutritional yeast.

I ate one warm from the oven, and another cold today at lunch, both tasted fab! Oh, and the parsnip flavour came through just enough for me to REALLY enjoy them, rather than the touch-and-go experience that comes with my family's history of parsnip preparation.

They are not a low calorie choice, but they will supply you with a good dose of healthy fats, fibre, protein and veggie goodness. To be honest, they could easily be fitted into a calorie controlled diet as they do such an amazing job at keeping you full. Your chances of reaching for mid afternoon calories deplete considerably when you eat a nutrient rich diet :-)

So, if you're here for the recipe, I suppose I had better hand it over!

Savoury Parsnip Muffins (6 muffins).

5 Small parsnips (2 large would probably be enough if that's what you have) - peel and grate them
3 Free range eggs
100g ground almonds
4 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tsp baking powder
1/2 Tsp dried basil
1/2 Tsp of any other dried herbs/flavours - I sprinkled in some Penzey's mural of flavour herbs that Emma brought me back from the US. Other complimentary flavours could include nutmeg, dill or thyme.
A small handful of walnuts/other nuts/seeds to scatter on top

First, heat your oven to 180 and grease/line 6 muffin 'holes' (is there a technical name for them?)

Gently beat the eggs, then stir in the grated parsnips. Then add in the rest of the ingredients (except the nuts/seeds) and combine until you have a slightly lumpy batter

Divide the mixture between the 6 muffin holes (the more I write it, the more wrong it seems!) and artistically scatter with nuts/seeds.

25 minutes in the oven should see them rise just enough and cooked through - check with a skewer/pointy knife. Leave them in the tray (is muffin tray hole more appropriate?) for a few minutes before letting them out to cool properly on a cooling rack, unless you want to eat them warm of course!

I'll catch up again in a day or two, my dears! Hope your are all keeping fit and healthy and warm!

Hannah xx







,

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a savory muffin - I bet they are so delicious warm on a cold day. I bet it would veganize very well - maybe with some silken tofu to replace the eggs?

    ReplyDelete